Re: Plotting, hold-on, colors

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Plotting, hold-on, colors
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:39:12 -0400

On Sep 1, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Ben Boxman wrote:

Hi,

 I've compiled the latest Octave (3.0.2) And the latest released gnuplot
(4.2.3).

 I'm vexed by octave/gnuplot not changing colors when plotting additional
plots with hold-on. Yes, I know I can set colors manually (or pass all
arguments to one big plot call) -- but this is:
1) Cumbersome for normal plots.
2) Even more cumbersome when using hist() and other built-in functions
on-top of plot (with hist, you can get the output, and then call yet another
function (bar -- that doesn't produce exactly the same results ([x,y] =
hist(z); bar(y,x);  -- is visually different than hist(z) -- probably some
style default?)....).

 This used to work properly in previous (<2.9.x) versions of octave. I use
plots extensively, typically, I'll crunch some numbers in the command line
and blurt them out as a plot/histogram (much easier to do this in octave
than in gnuplot, any manipulation/processing/filtering is so much easier
inside of octave). Just about every second plot I make involves multiple

 Is there any quick solution for this?

 Is this a gnuplot issue (e.g. like the zoom problem)? Will this be solved
if I compile the unstable gnuplot 4.3?
 Is there any way I can patch octave to fix this (e.g., changing the
default 'blue' to something cyclic, and intercepting hold and resetting said
cyclic variable?)?

Man thanks,

Ben Boxman

The Octave developers are actively working to improve Octave's compatibility with Matlab.

Regarding  the order of the colors, you can change the order by modifying the "colororder" property associated with the axis.  See ...

> get (gca, 'colororder')

 ans = 0.00000 0.00000 1.00000
       0.00000 0.50000 0.00000
       1.00000 0.00000 0.00000
       0.00000 0.75000 0.75000
       0.75000 0.00000 0.75000
       0.75000 0.75000 0.00000
       0.25000 0.25000 0.25000

so you could

colors = get (gca, 'colororder')

them modify the colors and/or order and then

set (gca, 'colororder', colors)

Is that sufficient for you needs?

Ben