unfilled bars in histogram

From: Stephen Bijansky
Subject: unfilled bars in histogram
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:16:25 -0500

Octave users and developers,

Can someone tell me how to create a histogram with unfilled bars (as opposed to the solid bars)?

Currently, I'm just using the manual example hist (randn (10000, 1), 30);

I believe the default in octave 2.1 was unfilled, and while the filled bars are great for viewing on a monitor, I prefer the unfilled bars for printing.

I'm using octave 3.0.0 and gnuplot 4.2.2.

In gnuplot, I think the function would be "set style fill empty".  So I tried grep -ri "set style" /usr/local/share/octave, and looking through hist.m, bar.m, __bar__.m, __bars__.m, ...  But I have not been able to figure this out.

Thanks for any help with this,
Steve Bijansky