transform a string with variable length to a matrix

From: Goebel, Juergen
Subject: transform a string with variable length to a matrix
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:34:42 +0200

Hi,

Using dec2bin I transform a decimal number to a binary number
with an a priori unknown number of digits. But the next step
offers a little problem for me: I have to transform the resulting
string to a matrix of ones and zeros. Trying a bit with str2mat
like str2mat([a(1);a(2);a(3)] wasn't successful 'cause the
number of digits is variable.

I'm sure some wizard can tell me what I have to do ...

Regards,

Jürgen