running gnuplot from octave, WinXP

From: gauthier
Subject: running gnuplot from octave, WinXP
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:25:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I'm very new to octave and I'd like to try gnuplot out. Searching the forum
and the net for answers to my problems only vaguely helped.

My computer runs Windows XP SP2, and I installed the latest Octave version
from there (3.0.1 vs2008):
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=40078/&abmode=1

I noticed the presence of wgnuplot.exe and pgnuplot.exe in my ~\Octave\bin
directory, which makes me think that gnuplot is already installed.

Neither wgnuplot nor pgnuplot are able to run from my octave prompt.

I have tried to add the aforementionned path to my environment variables, it
didn't help.

Right now I am using the matlab-like plot function, which is bugged (text,
legend, xlabel, ..., don't display any text, as descrived in
http://www.nabble.com/Xlabel-does-not-appear-in-Figure-td16724737.html#a16724737
).
How can I get started with gnuplot? Am I just missing something very easy?

I read something about X Window, I'm not sure I understood it.

Thanks in advance.
Gauthier