Re: Octave comments in emacs

From: Rosen Diankov
Subject: Re: Octave comments in emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:36:49 -0400

The % also messes up formatting when seen in strings, ie 'my value: %d'

For some reason, the octave syntax does not recognize that single
quotes are strings (it might be because the transpose character is
also ' and it is hard to differentiate between a string and the
transposing).

In any case, writing the above example will treat the % as a comment.
The indenting engine will skip the closing parenthesis )... resulting
in all the rest of the indents looking like garbage.

To fix the weird positioning of single % comments and the following
problems, go tino octave-mod.el and

in octave-mode-syntax-table change
(modify-syntax-entry ?\' "." table)
(modify-syntax-entry ?\' "\"" table)

in calculate-octave-indent at the bottom change
((looking-at "\\s<\\S<")
((and (looking-at "\\s<\\S<") (not (looking-at "%")))

i use (looking-at octave-comment-char) instead since some people use #
for comments

I'm not sure what the consequences of these changes are. From the
testing I've done, emacs formatting is running more like how the
matlab editor would format. Now if someone can fix the indentation
problems with "end", we'll have perfect indenting.

rosen diankov,