Re: java and linux

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: java and linux
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:03:36 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Goffioul-2 wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Janmaat, John <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> No go.  My JAVA_HOME points to /usr/lib/jvm/jre, from where the file you
>> mention is located.  It is a directory deeper.  Thought maybe that it
>> couldn't find javac, which is in a branch of the /usr/lib/jvm directory,
>> not the ../jre directory.  Changed that, but still doesn't work.
>
> There are 2 things you should take care of:
> 1) all java binaries should be in your PATH (java, javac, jar...)
> 2) if JVM is not installed in a directory like:
> /usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib/$ARCH/client/libjvm.so
> then JAVA_HOME should be defined such that JVM is located in
> $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/$ARCH/client/libjvm.so
>
> If it still does not work, could you report what you get when
> the configure script of the java package is executed?
>
> Michael.

Just want to add that, if you are using the latest JDK from Sun (jdk1.7.0),
the libjvm.so file is in the server directory, not the client directory
(which doesn't even exist).  This is at least the case for the amd64
distribution of the jdk.

Having changed the code (in __java__.cc) to look at server instead of
client, I have successfully installed the java package and it works like a
charm!!  Thanks to all for this package.

eric