Re: image processing function list

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: image processing function list
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:23:56 +0200

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:16 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 23-Jul-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | Concerning patents, I wonder how many of the Octave violates now ...
>
> Software patents in general, or just those owned by a particular
> company?

Both would be interesting. It would probably serve as an excellent
example how easily you can uknowingly infringe software patents just
by working on a non-trivial project...

> In any case, this discussion is veering off topic, so perhaps we
> should take it somewhere else?

Agreed. I just want to clarify that I fully support your advice to
*avoid* proprietary codes even for inspiration, I just wanted to
express my opinion (or, rather, hope) than it does not pose such a big
legal risk for Octave. But of course there are other measures than
just legality. After all, commercial software is here to sell, but
free software is here to last.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert