RE: Configuring Octave

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: RE: Configuring Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 7/22/08, Labitt, Bruce <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Labitt, Bruce <address@hidden>
> Subject: RE: Configuring Octave
> To: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 1:44 PM
> <snip>
> Make sure your LDFLAGS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
> variables have
> paths to 64 bit libraries before the ones to 32 bit
> libraries.
>
> I guess you have a 64 bit system and want to build a 64 bit
> executable.
>
> If you wish, I can send you my "latest and
> greatest" AppsFromScratch
> that will hopefully build you 'octave' and all it
> needs locally, and
> install it locally, not in system directories and not
> requiring root
> permission.
>
> This is how I build and use 'octave' and a lot of
> other things, even
> though
> I have root permission.
>
> Regards,
>   Sergei.
>
> [Labitt, Bruce] I have a 64 bit system.  I wish to build a
> 64 bit
> executable.
> I used John Eaton's suggested configure statement
>
> ./configure --enable-64 LDFLAGS="-L/lib64
> -L/usr/lib64"
>             F77=gfortran FFLAGS="-fdefault-integer-8
> -O2"
>
> How do I make LDFLAGS have paths to 64 bit libraries before
> 32 bit
> libraries?  Doesn't LDFLAGS have precedence over
> whatever is in your
> environment?  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty.  Does this matter?
>
> PATH = /usr/lib64/qt-3.3bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:
>           /usr/X11R6/bin:/home/BDLabitt/bin
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=""
>
> So far, every permutation I've tried has failed in the
> MAKE where
> /usr/bin/ld cannot find lpcre.  The file libpcre.so and
> libpcre.a are in
> /lib64 !!!
>
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpcre.so when
> searching
> for -lpcre
> /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpcre.a when
> searching
> for -lpcre
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpcre
>
> For what ever it is worth I am running Scientific Linux 5.2
> which I am
> told is a RHEL 5.2 "clone".
>
> Regards,
> -Bruce

Look, it's difficult o understand what the actual problem is not seeing
the failing command line.

You might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH - my AppsFromScratch is doing this
because I was burned more than once not doing it.

Again, I suggest I'll send you my AppsFromScratch, if we are lucky, you'll
build 'octave' using just one command line, though it'll take a number of
hours.

I did this on 64 bit RHEL4, and I'm doing it regularly on 32 bit SUSEs
(10.2, 10.3), so, I guess, our chances are pretty good.

I wrote the tool because I didn't want to set all those environment
variables and type in all those 'configure', 'make', 'make install'
manually.

If you have problems, I'll most likely will be able to help you.

Regards,
  Sergei.