RE: Configuring Octave

From: Labitt, Bruce
Subject: RE: Configuring Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:23:52 -0400

> I seem to have a problem configuring.  The first time
> through everything
> configured fine.  Make complained it could not find lpcre,
> so I checked
> my system and installed it.  I did a make clean and
> reconfigured.  I
> hope it is something simple like a syntax error.  (User
> Error!)  This is
> the configure statement:
>
> ./configure --with-f77=gfortran
> --with-blas=/usr/lib64/libblas.so
> --with-lapack=/usr/lib64/liblapack.so --enable-shared
> --enable-64
> LIBS="-l/lib64/libpcre.so"
>
> For some reason configure output is

> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> See 'config.log' for more details
>
> In config.log the following statement was found:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/lib64/libpcre.so
>
> I would appreciate any help the learned list could provide.
>  TIA.
>
> -Bruce

This typically means you do not have the GCC suite installed.

--Sergei.

[Labitt, Bruce] Hmm, interesting.  Is there something in particular that
may be missing?  This is my gcc list installed

gcc                     x86_64  4.1.2-42.el5
gcc-c++         x86_64  "
gcc-gfortran    x86_64  "
libgcc          i386            "                       why this is
here?
libgcc          x86_64  "
libstdc++               i386            "                       why this
is here?
libstdc++               x86_64  "

pcre                    i386            6.6-2.el5_1.7   can't uninstall
pcre                    x86_64  6.6-2.el5_1.7

What am I missing?
-Bruce