Configuring Octave

From: Labitt, Bruce
Subject: Configuring Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:00:18 -0400

Due to a bad bit of hardware causing a disk failure, I have had to
recreate my copy of Octave.  I did take notes the last time through, but
somehow one never seems to write down everything. :(

I seem to have a problem configuring.  The first time through everything
configured fine.  Make complained it could not find lpcre, so I checked
my system and installed it.  I did a make clean and reconfigured.  I
hope it is something simple like a syntax error.  (User Error!)  This is
the configure statement:

./configure --with-f77=gfortran --with-blas=/usr/lib64/libblas.so
--with-lapack=/usr/lib64/liblapack.so --enable-shared --enable-64
LIBS="-l/lib64/libpcre.so"

For some reason configure output is

checking for C compiler default output file name...
See 'config.log' for more details

In config.log the following statement was found:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -l/lib64/libpcre.so

I would appreciate any help the learned list could provide.  TIA.

-Bruce