Re: How do I install the java and jhandles packages?

From: Ólafur Jens Sigurðsson
Subject: Re: How do I install the java and jhandles packages?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:00:03 +0200

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:43:36PM +0200, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I tried to install the java and jhandles packages. I have Octave 3.0
> running on an Ubuntu 8.04 machine. I downloaded the java package and the
> jhandles package to my Desktop. I couldn't find any specific
> instructions on how to install the java and jhandles packages, so I
> assumed installing them works the same way as with other packages. I did
> the following in Octave:
>
> ------------------------------------
> octave:1> cd Desktop/
> octave:2> pkg install java-1.2.4.tar.gz
> octave:3> pkg install jhandles-0.3.3.tar.gz
> make: *** [all] Error 255
> 'make' returned the following error: make: Entering directory
> `/tmp/oct-Swp9i8/jhandles-0.3.3/src'
> Java support not compiled
> make: Leaving directory `/tmp/oct-Swp9i8/jhandles-0.3.3/src'
> error: called from `configure_make' in
> file /usr/local/share/octave/3.0.0+/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1251, column 2
> error: called from `install' in file `/usr/local/share/octave/3.0.0
> +/m/pkg/pkg.m'
> error: evaluating switch command near line 275, column 1
> error: called from `pkg' in file `/usr/local/share/octave/3.0.0
> +/m/pkg/pkg.m'
> ------------------------------------

Hi Matthias

You are doing this correctly. But you have to have java (virtual
machine, not the octave package) installed on the machine before
installing java and jhandles and the JAVA_HOME environment variable
has to be set correctly.

So if you use for example gcj then do

export JAVA_HOME = /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj

on the terminal that you start octave from before starting octave.

If you use another java virtual machine then you have to figure out
what the home for java is in that case.

HTH

Oli