Linux Jhandle print command, GL2PS error and png screen capture behavior

From: Scott Haynes
Subject: Linux Jhandle print command, GL2PS error and png screen capture behavior
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:51:26 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running Jhandles 0.3.3 on Fedora Linux. If I make a simple plot, ie
“plot(0:10)” and then call the print statement, “print('-dpng','junk.png')”
the figure will be printed. If however another window is in front of the
figure window then the print statement appears to do a screen capture of the
figure window area and makes a png file of whatever is visible over the
figure.

As an alternative I tried to call print and make a  postscript file, ie
“print('-dps','junk.ps')”.
I received the following error.

error: [java] javax.media.opengl.GLException:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.octave.graphics.GL2PS

error: evaluating switch command near line 25, column 7

error: evaluating if command near line 21, column 5

error: evaluating if command near line 19, column 3

error: called from `drawnow' in file
`/home/scott/apps/jhandles-0.3.3/inst/drawnow.m'

I do not know enough java to know what this error means but is says it can't
find something, a  “ClassDef” . I made sure “libgl2ps_java.so”  was in my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and made a symbolic link to “gl2ps_java.so” as this was how
the library appeared in “gl2ps.java”. The exact syntax is below.

                System.load(System.getProperty("octave.jhandles.path") +
java.io.File.separator +
                        System.mapLibraryName("gl2ps_java"));

I may be going off in the wrong direction, but here is the real issue.  I am
writing a script which will run all the time and while I am pleased with the
fact that the png output works (sort of). When the screen saver goes on or
the monitor goes to sleep and octave stops making images.  My hope is that
fixing the postscript output will fix this problem but perhaps it won't and
I need to go about this another way.

Any suggestions?