[Fwd: Re: Installing Octave on a web server]

From: Thomas Ilnseher
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Installing Octave on a web server]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 09:12:37 +0200

forgot to send it to the list as well ...
--
Thomas Ilnseher <address@hidden>
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Installing Octave on a web server Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:27:21 +0200

>         You can install the version of Octave that comes with your
>         distribution.
>         Most distributions contain Octave, and unless you need the
>         latest
>         version, the one that comes included should be fine.
>
>        Thomas
>

> This is where I'm stuck :P. I have asked hundreds of professional web
> hosters and none of them can tell me if Octave is installed on their
> servers (running on Linux or Windows). They all refer me to CGI/PERL
> scripts, but on google I have found that, to run a CGI script for
> Octave, Octave should be installed on the server. And I dunno how to
> install it.. do I have to upload the files of Octave on the server and
> that's it ?

The first thing you need to have is a shell. There are el-cheapo hosting
packages, which provide only ftp access. then you can only upload static
webpages / images, and interpreted scripts (php, perl, etc ...). The
webserver is set up to serve the static files, and run the scripts thru
the interpreter. in this case you can't use octave. period.

to do what you want, you need to get an root server. * you can save
bucks by getting an so-called vserver, which is a root server running
inside a vm (vmware, xen, etc.). [the hoster will run many root-servers
on one physical machine, and save bucks].

you will get a so called shell access. (ie. a username / password pair
for a login user and the root password). then you log on to that server
via ssh (Putty if you use winblows) using the username+password.

then you would basically do:

$ su
[enter root password]
# then it strongly depends on your distribution, and the server's
# configuration .... ex: debian server, set up to use an internet
# mirror.
$ apt-cache search octave
# now note all the octave packages you wnat to install, and do:
$ apt-get install octave octave-extra-super-duper ...

* you can do without an rootserver if you got shell access, but that
will be much more difficult.

--- End Message ---