Re: Installing Octave on a web server

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Installing Octave on a web server
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:32:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 7/7/08, Quentin Feyaerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Quentin Feyaerts <address@hidden>
> Subject: Installing Octave on a web server
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Monday, July 7, 2008, 5:52 AM
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to install Octave on a web server that I rent
> to a company.
> Basically, I want to develop a website which needs Octave
> to be installed on
> a server to display some Octave's results to the
> visitors.
>
> I have installed Octave on my computer without any
> problems, but I don't
> know how to do this with my web server running on Linux
> 2.4.20-28.9. Do I
> have only to upload the installation files, or do I need to
> download a
> specific version of Octave ? I'm a bit lost, as there
> is no mention of
> internet installation in the Octave documentation.
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer :)
>
> Greets,
> --
> Quentin
> Feyaerts_______________________________________________

I do not understand how this is specifically an octave issue.

I think your issue/problem/task is:

1) you have an application ('octave') in this case) which can take its
input from files and/or stdin and which outputs data to stdout and maybe
files;

2) you have a web server which has to interact with the application.

Though I am not a WEB developer, to me it appears to be a classical
cgi-bin case.

To debug the cgi-bin part you initially do not need 'octave' - write
a small script which takes stdin as input and outputs it with, say,
'ECHO:' prefix.

Regards,
  Sergei.