Re: Installing Octave on a web server

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Installing Octave on a web server
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:10:44 +0200

Am Montag, den 07.07.2008, 14:52 +0200 schrieb Quentin Feyaerts:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to install Octave on a web server that I rent to a
> company. Basically, I want to develop a website which needs Octave to
> be installed on a server to display some Octave's results to the
> visitors.

Do you expect visitors to provide any input? In that case, you *must*
filter those inputs really *strict*. You don't want
        system("rm -rf /")
to be executed.

> I have installed Octave on my computer without any problems, but I
> don't know how to do this with my web server running on Linux
> 2.4.20-28.9. Do I have only to upload the installation files, or do I
> need to download a specific version of Octave ? I'm a bit lost, as
> there is no mention of internet installation in the Octave
> documentation.

You can install the version of Octave that comes with your distribution.
Most distributions contain Octave, and unless you need the latest
version, the one that comes included should be fine.

        Thomas