Re: Catastrophic Cancellation

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: Catastrophic Cancellation
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:24:11 -0400

On Jul 3, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
octave:1> (0.3 - 0.2 - 0.1)/1e-16
ans = -0.27756

- I do not understand what you wanted to say by your reply.

I.e. I do not understand what/where the problem is.

There have been a few questions on this list in the past couple weeks phrased as "how can I get more precision from Octave," but actually problems of floating-point truncation in numerical analysis. One was a question about a p-value like 1 - (1e-30). One was perhaps an arbitrary precision question? This seemed to prompt AK to post his example of the difference between the three expressions

        (1-cos(x)) ./ x.^2;
        1./ x.^2 - cos(x) ./ x.^2; and
        (.5 - x.^2 / 24)

as computed by octave (or anything else) on the interval between 0 and 1e-7. It really is a pretty example of the sorts of things you see when you hit a truncation error problem. But it's only Octave- specific in the sense that Octave is the first introduction to numerical analysis for many people.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin