Re: java and linux

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: java and linux
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:09:17 +0200

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Scott Haynes <address@hidden> wrote:
> With this in mind here iis the  background on my system and how I built the
> code. First, I am running fedora 8,  octave version 3.0.0,  octave java
> 1.2.2 and jhandles 0.3.3 . Java 1.2.2 was included with octave-forge which I
> installed using yum instead of the package manager (The package manager
> doesn't seem to work on my machine).

Maybe it would be better to compile both java and jhandles with the
same JDK. Make sure first that java package works fine:

l = java_new('java.util.LinkedList')

> JAVA_HOME = /home/scott/apps/jdk1.6.0_06
>
> JAVA_ARCH = i386

This means that libjvm.so is located at
/home/scott/apps/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so

If this is not the case, then JAVA_HOME is wrongly defined.

> error: [java] java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gluegen-rt in
> java.library.path
[snip]
> This tells me that the gluegen-rt.jar file can't be found despite the
> symbolic link being present in the /home/scott/apps/jdk1.6.0_06/jre/lib/ext/
> folder.

No, I think it tells you that it can't find the native libraries coming
with JOGL. For instance under Windows, I have 4 DLL's: gluegen-rt.dll,
jogl.dll, jogl_awt.dll and jogl_cg.dll. Those must be available for the
dynamic linker (under Windows, this means in PATH). Under Linux,
you have equivalent .so libraries (maybe not the 4th one) and they
should be available from LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Michael.