Re: syntax error when pkg install io-xxx.tar.gz package

From: pauljoseph
Subject: Re: syntax error when pkg install io-xxx.tar.gz package
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 23:43:16 -0700 (PDT)

pauljoseph wrote:

> I have rebuild my Octave 3.0.1 and it finishes successfuly, I did a make
> check as well. But I still couldn't get pkg install. the function pkg is
> undefined.
>
> I couldn't do
> % help pkg
>
> if I type
> %pkg
> error: `pkg' undefined near line 3 column 1

I have managed to solve my problem. The problem is that I previously
installed Octave 3.0.0 in a non-standard directory and so I set OCTAVE_HOME
to my Octave 3.0.0 installation directory.

When I installed Octave 3.0.1, it successfully built. And when I ran

./run-octave

from the installation directory I can get some result when typing "pkg". But
after I did a make install, the same error occurs.

The cause of the problem is that I didn't set my OCTAVE_HOME to the new
installation directory. After I set this variable to the new installation
directory, it works fine.

Thanks.