Re: io format specifier question

From: A. Kalten
Subject: Re: io format specifier question
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:01:16 -0400

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:37:38 +0200
"marco restelli" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Still I wonder whether there is a format descriptor in octave which
> can handle this without preprocessing. The reason why I am insisting
> is that all the home made preprocessing 1) tends to make the data
> processing cumbersome when many files/people/systems are involved and
> 2) is likely to produce wrong results in various corner cases, which
> might be standard in some sense (in my case, according to the FORTRAN
> standard), but which I fail to take into account.

The other option is to do some custom programming in octave.  After
reading the string value from the file, then use the string functions
such as strmatch, split, etc. to transform "0.44781-45" to "0.44781e-45"
and then load the result into a variable.  It would take a little effort
but it should give you the solution that you need.

AK