Re: Octave 3.0 does not start in Ubuntu Hardy Heron

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0 does not start in Ubuntu Hardy Heron
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:43:51 -0500

2008/6/25 Ayesha Kalra <address@hidden>:
> Ayesha
>
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 24/06/2008, Ayesha Kalra <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > I think this is the problem,
>> >
>> > libumfpack.so.1 has been replaced by libumfpack.so.3.1.0 (I see
>> > libumfpack.so.3.1.0 in my /usr/lib ). But how do I tell Octave to look
>> > for
>> > libumfpack.so.3.1.0 instead of libumfpack.so.1
>>
>> Out of curiousity, are you using the Debian octave3.0 package or are
>> you compiling from source?
>
> I am using the Synaptic Package Manger of Ubuntu. This ensures that I get
> timely information about updates. I am not compiling from source.

Then it looks like you've run into a packaging bug. That's what
happens when you use packages from Debian unstable like Ubuntu does. I
haven't heard it reported against the Debian packages, so maybe you
should report it. What's the version of libsuitesparse on your system?

A quick hack to fix it is to create a symlink:

     sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libumfpack.so.3.1.0 /usr/lib/libumfpack.so.1

I'd offer to fix the packaging bug myself, but I doubt I'd get around
to doing it, easy as it looks to fix.

Nevertheless, HTH,
- Jordi G. H.