Re: Sporadically sampled data

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: Re: Sporadically sampled data
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:59:14 -0700

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Shaun Jackman <address@hidden> wrote:
I have data sampled sporadically from a function x = f(t); I have vectors t and
x. Does Matlab have any functions to deal with sporadically sampled data?
If you don't need to smooth the data, then you can simply use the
interpolating functions (interp1, spline, pchip), assuming your data
is 1-dimensional.
For smoothing data, you can use OctaveForge packages - data-smoothing, octgpr.

Thanks, Jaroslav. interp1 and pchip helped a lot.

If I have the same arrays of t and x, and now t has duplicate values, how can I smooth this data? A more specific question: how can I generate new arrays t_mean and x_mean where each value of t_mean is unique, and the value of x_mean for each t_mean is the mean value of all the values of x at that value of t?

Thanks,
Shaun