need to calculate autocorrelation length of a matrix

From: chaski
Subject: need to calculate autocorrelation length of a matrix
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

Working with a n x n matrix of non-negative real values, I'm trying to
calculate a 2d analog of 'autocorrelation length' -- that is, I want to find
the minimum euclidean (or similar) distance at which, on average, two
entries in the matrix (separated by that critical distance) will show a
mutual correlation of less than 1/e (or 1/2, or some other such 'natural'
threshold).

Analogous measures are used as metrics of landscape 'ruggedness' or
'roughness', I think, but I've looked in vain for an established method to
calculate them. Does anyone know of a script that could (perhaps with
tweaking at my novice level) be used to do so?

Thanks.