Re: expected output from log of negative number

From: avraham rosenberg
Subject: Re: expected output from log of negative number
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:05:50 +0300

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:40 PM, E. Joshua Rigler <address@hidden> wrote:
If I type log10(-1), I get a complex number back whose real part is the
log of the absolute value of the argument, and whose imaginary part is
always equal to 1.36438.  What's more, I get similar behavior with a
natural log, but the imaginary part is always equal to Pi.

I've managed to confirm that this behavior is compatible with ML, so I
imagine it's not a bug, but can someone explain to me the logic here?