Re: Vertical axis configuration

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Vertical axis configuration
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:12:23 -0400

On  7-Jun-2008, Johan Kullstam wrote:

| "Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso" <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > On 06/06/2008, Oscar Bayona Candel <address@hidden> wrote:
| >> I want to
| >> make the same plot but telling that the vertical axis oscilate from 80 to
| >> 200. I know that there is no observation here but I want to do it.
| >
| > After plotting, try
| >
| >      ylim([80, 200])
|
| How do I set a one-sided limit?
|
| E.g., I want to set bottom limit to -10 but leave upper to float with
| data.  In the old gnuplot way this was easy:
|
| gplot [][-10:] X
|
| I seem to have lost this ability.
|
| I tried
|
| plot(X)
| y = ylim;
| ylim([-10,y(2)])
|
| but now the upper limit isn't really the same.  If X has some really
| negative data, e.g., -1000 then the first plot might set limits to
| -1000 to +100, even if the data never exceeds +20.

I think you'll have to examine the data yourself and set both limits
accordingly.

Perhaps we could allow special values (NaN?) for the {x,y,z}lim
properties to indicate that they should be determined automatically
even though one end of the range is fixed.  But that would be
incompatible with Matlab, and also somewhat confusing -- what should
the corresponding {x,y,z}limmode properties be set to in this case
(manual, auto or something new and incompatible like semiauto)?

jwe