Re: Differences in Matlab/Octave processing time

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Differences in Matlab/Octave processing time
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:16:19 +0200

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM, HempyElmo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a Matlab code which I want to run on Octave. With Matlab this
> program takes about 5 minutes under Windows XP on a Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
> to make an output .mat. With Octave on the same computer, it took ages...
> maybe 30 times more processing time. Same thing happens for Octave with the
> same version (2.9.15) on a Linux machine (Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz). Is anybody
> have a reason why? Is it because of Octave or the code itself?
>
> The code reproduce a particle in cells simulation. I don't know how many
> loops it makes.
>
> Thanks!

This can be caused by a lot of reasons. If you use a recent version of
Matlab, you may be benefitting from the JIT compilation. Octave does
not have such feature yet; however it is (IMHO) less needed because
Octave has more powerful support for compiled functions.

If you post code, someone may give you optimization hints.