Is there any way to get pre octave 3.0 behavior for plot style?

From: Artyom
Subject: Is there any way to get pre octave 3.0 behavior for plot style?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 00:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have some scripts that create plots with
high amount of different lines/styles for octave.

In the 2.x series, gnuplot had assigned the styles
automatically with '-@;Legend;'. More then that
these styles where useful for converting to
png/eps2/eps2c formats that allowed to automatically
create different styles for black-and-white drawings
for LaTeX when using printing to eps2 or give
colorful marks for eps color or png.

In the new version of octave this behavior
had changed to be more compatible with Matlab
and had broken my previous scripts.

I have several questions:

1. Is there any way to turn on an old -- automatic
   behavior of setting plot styles?
2. Is there any way to produce 5-6 different
   line styles using different marks (x,o) and
   different lines (dashed, dash-dot etc).

   From what I can see, new octave version is
   not fully compatible with Matlab so it makes
   hard (impossible?) to create a drawings with
   many lines.
3. Is there an automatic way to create different
   line styles for different lines?

Thanks,
  Artyom