Calculating mean and variance for normal distribution

From: DimitryASuplatov
Subject: Calculating mean and variance for normal distribution
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 19:02:12 +0300

Hello,
I have a common task - to analyze some data, presumptively normaly
distributed, and calculate its mean, variance and make a plot. I`ve
checked the book-manual and the mailing list, but all functions that
have something to do with normal distribution require mean and variance
as an input parameters. This is very strange. I feel like missing
something...

Could you just give me a tip. Lets say I have my data in vector x. How
to get mean and varience assuming normal distribution? And if this would
not cause many trouble could you give me a link to where I can read this
because I might be reading in the wrong place.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

SDA.