Re: syntax error when pkg install io-xxx.tar.gz package

From: pauljoseph
Subject: Re: syntax error when pkg install io-xxx.tar.gz package
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:06:27 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote:

> Does
>
>   mark_as_command ("pkg")
>   pkg install -verbose io-1.0.5.tar.gz
>
> work?
>
> If so, you need to find out why this is not happening automatically.
> Normally, there would be a PKG_ADD file in the same directory as the
> pkg.m file that contains does the mark_as_command thing for pkg.  Did
> your build and install finish properly?
>
> jwe

This what I got

octave:2> mark_as_command("pkg")
octave:3> pkg install -verbose io-1.0.5.tar.gz
error: `pkg' undefined near line 3 column 1

I checked in "share/octave/3.0.1/m/pkg" and found pkg.m, as well as PKG_ADD
which contains this line:
mark_as_command pkg

I tried to rebuild it, so I did make distclean, and typed
./configure --prefix=/myinstalldir/

I think configure works fine. It gives me this
--------
Octave is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

  Source directory:     .
  Installation prefix:  /home/kurniawano/Programs/Octave3.0.1/
  C compiler:           gcc  -mieee-fp  -Wall -W -Wshadow -g -O2
  C++ compiler:         g++  -mieee-fp  -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast
-g -O2
  Fortran compiler:     g77 -O -mieee-fp
  Fortran libraries:     -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/3.4.6
-L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../../lib
-L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../.. -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/../lib
-lz -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lm
  BLAS libraries:       -llapack -lblas
  FFTW libraries:       -lfftw3
  GLPK libraries:       -lglpk
  UMFPACK libraries:    -lumfpack
  AMD libraries:        -lamd
  CAMD libraries:       -lcamd
  COLAMD libraries:     -lcolamd
  CCOLAMD libraries:    -lccolamd
  CHOLMOD libraries:    -lcholmod
  CXSPARSE libraries:   -lcxsparse
  HDF5 libraries:
  CURL libraries:
  REGEX libraries:
  QHULL libraries:      -lqhull
  LIBS:                 -lreadline  -lncurses -ldl -lz -lm
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot

  Do internal array bounds checking:  false
  Build static libraries:             false
  Build shared libraries:             true
  Dynamic Linking:                    true (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   true
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     false

configure: WARNING: I didn't find gperf, but it's only a problem if you need
to reconstruct oct-gperf.h
configure: WARNING: HDF5 library not found.  Octave will not be able to save
or load HDF5 data files.
configure: WARNING: PCRE library not found.  This will result in some loss
of functionality for the regular expression matching functions.
configure:

NOTE: libraries may be skipped if a library is not found OR
      if the library on your system is missing required features.

-----------
and then I typed "make" and it seems ok. it gives me this

---------
Octave successfully built.  Now choose from the following:

   ./run-octave    - to run in place to test before installing
   make check      - to run the tests
   make install    - to install

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/kurniawano/Download/NumericalComputation/Octave/octave-3.0.1'
-----------

and if I typed "make check" it gives me

------------
  PASS   3721
  FAIL      2

There were 3 expected failures (see fntests.log for details).

Expected failures are known bugs. Please help improve
Octave by contributing fixes for them.

There were 175 skipped tests (see fntest.log for details).
Skipped tests are features that are disabled in this version
of Octave as the needed libraries were not present when Octave
was built

1508 (of 1671) files have no tests.  Please help improve Octave by
contributing tests for these files (see the list in the file fntests.log).

make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/kurniawano/Download/NumericalComputation/Octave/octave-3.0.1/test'