Re: octave's graphics interface / linux operating system

From: Dieter Jurzitza
Subject: Re: octave's graphics interface / linux operating system
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:43:12 +0200

Dear listmembers,
first of all, many thanks for all the inputs I received. And, David, many
thanks for the suggested function. Personally, I vote strongly against
removing this function from octave, too. It would throw everyone back
singnificantly who is working closely with gnuplot. As long as there is no
straightforward way to create "publication-quality" graphs out of octave and
as long as I am forced to fiddle around with gnuplot parameters and commands
I (probably) have a different approach from others.

And, to stop any discussion from rising, I do not think there is a way to emit
a command like (maybe I just didn't find ...)

set terminal postscript enhanced color solid "Arial,14"

or a command like

plot function(x) title {/Symbol W} w l lw 2

from within octave without manually writing a function that writes those
commands into a file. And, again, _I do not_ want to request an integration
of things like this into octave.

Apart from "niceness" of interfaces to provide a matlab compatibilty (this is
a personal guess, I never used mathlab so I do not know much about it) this
triggers me into learning two sets of commands, the gnuplot commands I am
very familiar with and the octave commands that differ but provide only a
part of the function set of gnuplot at the very end.

And in my opinion it is a pity - and a waste of time - to force capable
programers to implement one function translator after the other to only
mirror a command set - more or less.

So, from an (personal!) user prospective I prefer functionality over
programming niceness - as long as the tools provided are not capable to do
the entire job, which is not to be expected IMHO - see above.

I do not want to raise a discussion on whether the "raw" gnuplot commands
should be kept alive. A decision has been made, I live with it. The only tiny
(well, maybe not _that_ tiny ...) little wish I would appreciate to rise
would be a function called gnuplotout (or whatever name is apropriate) that
outputs both the configuration file and the data to be plotted so the further
work is not that effortsome. Just my 2 cents here.

And again, thanks to everybody - this tells me that more people than me are
struggling to get smooth graphs for their publications / presentations /
daily work.

Take care,

Dieter

P.S. and thank you for doing all the work on octave, I guess I missed
mentioning by the way .....

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)
*******