.eps file displays with gv but will not print

From: Bob Odom
Subject: .eps file displays with gv but will not print
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:08:05 -0700 (PDT)

I am having an aggravating plotting problem with octave-3.0.0-1.3
(gnuplot-4.2.0-72.1) on SuSE 10.2.

print ('plot1.eps', '-depsc2');

generates "plot1.eps" just fine. I can display it with 'gv'. However it
will not print from gv. It will not print directly from octave using

print ('-Pprinter', '-depsc2');

Nor will it print from the command line with 'lpr -Pprinter plot1.eps'.

However if I convert it to pdf with ps2pdf or even use

eps2eps plot1.eps plot2.eps

plot2.eps (or the pdf) files print just fine. I must have some bonehead
error in a config file somewhere, but have been unable to find it. I
certainly have made sure that the gv and gs default paper size is US letter.
I thought maybe it was a PostScript language level problem, but that
doesn't seem to be it either. Although I can find no way to specify the
level withing octave.

I can of course just give up and run every plot through eps2eps, but
that shouldn't be necessary, should it?