How to update gv-Window?

From: Stefan Pofahl
Subject: How to update gv-Window?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 00:21:27 +0200

Hello,

I have written a "mylib_printlatexeps.m":
http://www.jpberlin.de/st.pofahl/html/science-and-software/octave/octave3.0-examples.html
(up to now, if you do not provide a propper gv-command string as the third argument, it's only
working out of the box under MS-XP, with latex and ghostview
properly installed).
Under MS-Windows it is no problem to start only one gv-Window, the only thing
you have to do, is to add the command-line switch "-e", but I don't know how to
do the same thing under unix.
I tried the following:
>     PIDGV=system("gv ",1,"async")
>     strg=['kill -SIGHUP ', num2str(PIDGV)]
>     system(strg,1)

But the result is strange, I receive the following error message:
>    sh: line 0: kill: SIGHUP: invalid signal specification

I also tried the octave-"unix" command, but the result is the same.
Can someone tell me the trick?
How can I ensure, that my octave function opens gv only
in one incident.

One ugly method could be to kill the last 'gv'-process,
before starting a new, but there should be a more clever one:

>      [STATUS,PIDGV]=system ('pidof -s gv');
>      if (STATUS==0)
>        strg=['kill -9 ', num2str(PIDGV)];
>        system (strg);