Re: Octave 3.0.1 Scientific Linux 5.1 (RHAT) build failure

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0.1 Scientific Linux 5.1 (RHAT) build failure
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 22:12:42 +0200

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I'm still not exactly clear on what the benefits of 64bit environments
> are, and for us  "early adopters", it seems that there are are more
> drawbacks. I've seen at least one software package segfault due to
> assumptions of 32bit pointers, and I am currently suspecting that one
> more package is suffering the same.

If no one runs on a 64-bit platform none of the bugs of 64-bit systems
will be found. That being said I have the misfortune of currently
running on a 64bit system and yes there are lots of bugs, and I only
just got a version of java that worked, etc etc etc. I haven't tried a
64-bit compile of Octave yet though :-)

D.