Re: dlmread.m not in ..\Octave\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.6 on Windows

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: dlmread.m not in ..\Octave\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.6 on Windows
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:42:32 +0200

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Ola_p <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  Sorry for my ignorance, I can't seem to find a good guide on Windows
>  installs.  I've tried to use dlmread on a windows 3.0.0 Octave install, and
>  when that didn't work (I couldn't skip rows and columns like the Matlab
>  equivalent does), I installed the io-1.0.6.tar.gz using pkg install from
>  Octave.
>
>  When I look into my Octave packages directory, I have dlmwrite.m, but no
>  dlmread.m.  I tried to find how to run dlmread.cc, but that's beyond my
>  skills.  Should I have a compiler on my machine and should I be compiling
>  dlmread.cc to create a *.m file?  I can't find dlmread.oct anywhere, and if
>  I could, what do I do with it?
>
>  I'd appreciate any help, even if it's a pointer to Octave in Windows for
>  dummies.

[Note: easy solution at the end of the message]

Some packages require compilation of oct-files (like the io package). In
this case, you need a compiler installed, which should be the same as
the compiler used to compile octave itself. If you're using the binary
package for Windows from sourceforge.net, then you'll need
Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition (available for free). You would then also
need to install the Platform SDK to get some required headers and
libraries. To make octave "aware" of the presence of the compiler, the
easiest is then to start a command prompt windows and:
- run "vcvarsall.bat" from Visual C++ installation dir
- run "SetEnv.cmd" from the Platform SDK installation dir
- run "octave.exe" from the octave installation dir

But in the end, the easiest solution is to wait a few hours, until
the next binary package for Windows is available (release 3.0.1).
I'm currently finishing the package. This release contains the
io-1.0.6 package.

Michael.