Re: Graphical interface

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Graphical interface
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:30:30 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:58:55AM +0200, Stephan Paukner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 10:01 -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > > I am a very new Octave-user, (5 minutes). I am questioning if there is any
> > > graphical interface for KDE- Desktops?
> >
> > [...] Why do you need a graphical interface?  What do you get out of
> > it that you don't get from the command line interface?
>
> I wasn't asked, but what I personally like:
>
> * Getting something from the history without losing the current output
> in the window.
> * Having a short glance at current variables and their sizes
> without ???losing the current output in the window.
>
> It's annoying to be forced to execute a command just to get this
> information and flush your screen at the same time, so you have to
> scroll up the screen afterwards. I want to view that in parallel, not
> serial.

Just to support the 'other side' again:

Since the pager catches massive output, the amount of scrolling
involved is limited.

Reproduction of previous output is straightforward with history
search, and variable sizes are easy to get and do not occupy much
space on the terminal. If some recomputation would take a long time,
I'd say it should be good practice anyway to save its result and make
it quickly available. If availability of output in parallel (actually,
since you must move your eyes, it is still serial :-) is still needed,
cut and paste to somewhere else (maybe an emacs buffer) is possible.

This seems to be a matter of preferance and practice.

Regards, Olaf