Re: Upgrading octave version

From: asha g
Subject: Re: Upgrading octave version
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 23:06:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jordi and Quentin,
Thanks for your suggestions. I am visiting the Indian
Institute of science in Bangalore for some months and
am using their common terminals which have RHEL4. I am
not sure if they will download RHEL5 for me. I can
check with the system administrator after the weekend.
How do you compile all the other packages yourself? I
have never done this.
Thanks
Asha
--- Jordi Guti�rrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On 11/04/2008, asha g <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Checked rpms but for Red Hat Linux the Octave
> >  versionis 2.15 or so. There is no Octave 3.0.
>
> It sounds like you will have to compile Octave,
> then. You need to get
> all the development libraries that you were getting
> as warnings when
> you ran ./configure in your previous post. Hopefully
> they have all
> been packaged for RHEL and you can just use the
> packaged versions.
>
> Does RHEL ever synch up to the community-provided
> Fedora packages? Are
> you able to update your RHEL version? I'm just
> curious; probably the
> easiest solution will be to compile Octave yourself.
> If it doesn't
> compile, ask us again, and maybe we can fix it;
> otherwise, maybe you
> should update your RHEL version.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

  Goals too clearly defined can become blinkers.
  Mary Catherine Bateson