Re: leasqr help

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: leasqr help
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:59:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden> wrote:

> As far as I can understand, leasqr should have no
> problems minimising the sum of any distance, if properly modified, and
> the modifications would be minimal, as I suggested in my previous mails.

I learned this stuff many years ago, but I think least squares solvers are based
on the fact that the sum of distances is the some of squares.

I think that based on this fact the problem becomes the one of solving linear
equations
system, and that is done by applying derivative to the some of squares. I mean,
applying
derivatives produces the linear equations system to be solved.

So, I do not think that for other than least squares target minimization
modifications
will be minimal.

Regards,
  Sergei.