non-interactive plotting with octave

From: Mair
Subject: non-interactive plotting with octave
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:17:25 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to write some code which will run over a lot of data files
and generate graphs. I have the code working but octave pops up a
window with every plot. This is terribly annoying if I'm trying to work
on something else while the code is running.

So, I've spent some time trying to work out how to force octave to just
save the output to an image file without the intermediate window
popping up, but failed to do so successfully. I have octave 2.9.19 and
debian lenny. Is there a way to do this in octave?

I am a happy person