Re: MySQL from Octave

From: Xavier Delacour
Subject: Re: MySQL from Octave
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:37:46 -0400

(cc'ing help-octave)

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Nick Straw <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
>  Yes I tried this - I downloaded database-1.0.tar.gz and tried 'pkg
>  install database-1.0.tar.gz' but I got the following errors:
>
>  octave-3.0.0.exe:5> pkg install database-1.0.tar.gz
>  ./configure: strings: command not found
>  swig error : Unrecognized option -octave
>  Use 'swig -help' for available options.
>  configure: error: swig doesn't support octave modules

You either need the SVN version of SWIG (that supports Octave), or the
octave-forge version of the database package (that has pre-generated
sources and thus doesn't depend on SWIG). I recommend the latter.

>  This stumped me - so then I tried to get mym to work by compiling
>  mym.cpp - with this I got bogged down with missing libraries and compile
>  errors when I tried mex etc.

You are likely to have similar problems with octave-db, since it won't
build unless you have all four database packages installed (ODBC is
almost certainly installed already, but that leaves sqlite3 and
postgres). configure should check and not build the bindings for
databases that aren't installed. I will submit a patch for this later
today.

Also there might be (will probably be) minor errors building under
MSVC, I haven't tried. (I don't have access to a Windows setup for the
time being.) Maybe someone else is willing to look at this. Building
with gcc (mingw/cygwin) would fix these.

Are the mym failures Octave related?

Thanks,
Xavier