RE: QR factorization

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: RE: QR factorization
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:24:43 +0100 (CET)

Observing Marco's posts from the past, I think he understands that there is no
unique solution.
I think the question was rather given that Octave and Matlab both claim to use the same LAPACK routines they come up with different (though equally valid) solutions. Matlab uses the Intel Blas/Lapack libraries and Octave is probably using Atlas so the difference is probably in the details of the implementations of these libraries.

D.

In fact, Octave built using Apple's vecLib gives the same result as "the other
program" ;-)

I confirm. "The other program" behaves like my Octave on a Athlon (with ACML libraries, I suppose). By the way, there is a small misprint in qr documentation: in the last example spqr should be replaced by qr.

Best regards,

Marco