Re: Octave on embedde platform

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave on embedde platform
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:

> > On 28-Mar-2008, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > | Did somebody use f2c option to install Octave, this is the case when you
> > | don't have a Fortran compiler. This may help me to install Octave on a
> > ppc
> > | platform not having Fortran.
> >
> > Yes, you can use f2c, but you need a wrapper script like the Debion
> > fort77 package:  http://packages.debian.org/sid/fort77.  This allows
> > you to invoke f2c+gcc as if it were a real Fortran compiler.
> >
> > Are you using GCC?  If so, why don't you have a Fortran compiler?
> >
> > jwe
> >

> We do not have a Fortran compiler on the ppc platform we are running, it
> is an embedded platform
>
> Thank you
>
> Julia

I do not quite understand the problem of missing Fortran compiler.

If your system runs Linux/UNIX, 'gcc', including Fortran, can be built from
source on your system first.

Actually, you do not need Fortran complier, you need object files produced by
it. And the latter can be produced on a non-embedded system with the same CPU
architecture and OS.

At all, you can build the whole 'octave' on a non-embedded system with the same
CPU architecture and OS.

Just wondering - what for do you need 'octave' on an embedded system ?

Regards,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

Like movies? Here's a limited-time offer: Blockbuster Total Access for one
month at no cost.