Re: Octave workshop for Octave 3.0.0 on windows Xp

From: Moritz Borgmann
Subject: Re: Octave workshop for Octave 3.0.0 on windows Xp
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:11:52 +0100

It seems that many people are disappointed in some way because Octave
doesn't have a GUI.  But I just don't see that Matlab's GUI interface
is all that useful, so it would be helpful to understand what it
provides that is so essential.

looking at what engineers and scientists around me use in terms of Matlab GUI, in approximately decreasing order of importance:

- the "visual debugger" (i.e., with a little arrow next to the current source line, go/stop/step buttons and all that stuff)

- the workspace pane, which gives quick & easy overview over the current variables, their dimensions, etc. (especially useful in combination with debugger)

- command history pane

- the profiler, which is really nice in recent Matlabs (even though Octave doesn't have one, so it's not relevant for the GUI discussion)

- the editor, although there's really no need to since there's so many other good editors around.

I personally tend to use the command-line version whenever possible, but I do understand people who find above features useful and hence stick with the GUI.