Re: gnuplot works - and now I know why

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: gnuplot works - and now I know why
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:13:39 +0100

Dushan Mitrovich schrieb:
> Hi Thomas
>
> Thank for sending the file and detailed instructions.  I finally got a
> chance to try them out.  The upshot is that theye didn't have the desired
> results.  Here is a copy of the Terminal session (the line beginning with
> '+++' is my inserted comment):
>
> --------------- begin Terminal session ---------------
> Last login: Fri Mar 21 08:33:21 on console
> Welcome to Darwin!
>
> [~]$
> => cd /tmp
>
> [/tmp]$
> => tar -xzf deps.tgz
>
> [/tmp]$
> => ll
> total 800
> -rw-r--r--   1 dushanm  wheel         0 Mar 21 09:38 cs_cache_lock_501
> -rw-r--r--   1 dushanm  dushanm  404889 Mar 22 10:48 deps.tgz
> drwxr-xr-x   7 dushanm  wheel       238 Mar 22 04:05 gnuplot-i386/
> -rw-------   1 dushanm  wheel      1179 Mar 20 15:23 qt_temp.WYb4cz
>
> [/tmp]$
> => GNUTERM=aqua /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot
>
>         G N U P L O T
>         Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
>         last modified 31 Aug 2007
>         System: Darwin 8.11.1
>
>         Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007
>         Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
>
>         Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
>         The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/
>
> Send bug reports and suggestions to <http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot>
>

> Terminal type set to 'aqua'
> gnuplot> plot sin(x)/x
> +++ no plot window appears, and no error messages
> gnuplot> GNUTERM=aqua DISPLAY= /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ undefined variable: aqua
>             undefined variable: aqua
>
> gnuplot> GNUTERM=aqua DISPLAY=:0.0 /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/ undefined variable: aqua
>             undefined variable: aqua
>
> gnuplot> quit

All three calls look good to me. If GNUTERM=aqua then DISPLAY shouldn't be set (cf. Gnuplot manual) - that's where the errors come from - so absolutely correct.

> --------------- end Terminal session ---------------
>

> This is the same behavior I had been seeing earlier.
>
> I also tried another experiment.  This is a clean install of X.4.11, and
> no separate install of AquaTerm was made - separate, that is, from what
> is included with Gnuplot.app.  The results were also negative, as I had
> learned to expect by now:
>
> I invoked the PropertyListEditor on the file '.MacOSX/environment.plist'
> and changed the value of the variable 'GNUTERM' (the only one) from 'x11'
> to 'aqua'.  Then I logged out and back in, and tried to open Gnuplot.app
> in /Applications.  The only thing that happened is that the gnuplot icon
> appeared in the Dock, then immediately disappeared.

This also is okay, this is part of my selfmade startup script (cf. below) - necessary if somebody wants to open two Gnuplot.apps at the same time.

> When I changed 'aqua'
> back to 'x11' and did a logout/login, gnuplot works and plots again as be-
> fore, using an X11 window.

Yes ok.

> Can your suggest of a more detailed way for us to compare our system
> configurations, to figure out what the critical difference is?

I expect no, I'm very very sorry, as long as I can't reproduce the problem and don't know why no figure window is opened. I'm currently also searching in the dark - my last idea was that AquaTerm.framework is not opened correctly, that's why putting another one into /tmp/gnuplot-i386/ (which is the path where I put all libs before packing Gnuplot.app). If you want to do some more tests then also have a look at the shell script

  /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot

with a normal text editor (this is the startup script for gnuplot resp. Gnuplot.app if you call it from command line - like we did above). Maybe (but this also is just an idea and nothing more) it has to do with 10.4.11?! I personally am working on a 10.4.9 machine but won't upgrade to a newer version.

Finally, I somewhen already had an AquaTerm discussion at OctaveForge - but this was a bit different, here is the link where you can read all about it, maybe you get some more ideas about what to try

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1810331&group_id=2888&atid=102888

Let me know if I can help somehow

  Thomas