function printing progress to terminal while running

From: Malte Köster
Subject: function printing progress to terminal while running
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:25:29 +0100

Hi there,
I have a function that takes quite a while to execute, so I would like it to give some progress indication. I tried to use printf to print the actual status to the terminal. However this does not work, since all the printing is done only after the whole function is executed. Is there a way to print something to the terminal _while_ the function is executed?

cheers,
malte