Plotting several series in the same figure non overlapping

From: mbn
Subject: Plotting several series in the same figure non overlapping
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I need to create a scatter plot with several series that have the same x
value *and* may have same y value without overlapping. For example:

Series 1 (S1)
----------------------
x=1, y=0.5
x=2, y=0.5
x=3, y=0.4

Series 2 (S2)
----------------------
x=1, y=0.5
x=2, y=0.1
x=3, y=0.3

I do not want S1(x=1, y=0.5) to overlap with S2(x=1, y=0.5). I want to get
something like this:

0.5|  o    +        o
0.4|                                   o
0.3|                                         +
0.2|
0.1|                         +
           1              2              3

Where marker(S1)='o' and marker(S2)='+' and the points of each series do not
overlap but share same x value.

How can I do this in Octave 2.1 (preferred) or 3.0?

Thanks in advance