Re: NA and NaN

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: NA and NaN
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:52:47 +0100

>> I see that Octave has NA, which is described in the manual as "a special
>> case of the representation of `NaN'".  I do not understand what this
>> exactly means, because
>>
>> isnan(NA) --> 0
>Is it? In Octave 3.0.0 I see
>
>octave:1> isnan(NA)
>ans =  1

Thank you.  I use both Octave 2.1 and Octave 3.0, and I had not tried
both.  I would appreciate someone to answer my previous questions
nonetheless, as there is so much code around written for octave 2.1.

However, in light of Søren's observation, would it preferable to use NA
instad of NaN for missing values?  What about octave-forge packages
"statistics" and "nan"?  What about Matlab compatibility?

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040