Re: Octave database bindings

From: Xavier Delacour
Subject: Re: Octave database bindings
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:51:33 -0400

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 7:36 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I can find license statements for Postgres (BSD) MySQL (GPL) and
>  sqlite (Public Domain) but I don't see a quick link to the same for
>  ODBC.  What are the license terms for ODBC and how is it linked to
>  Octave?  Simply using an automatic way of generating the interface
>  code (by using SWIG) doesn't allow you to sidestep the terms of the
>  GPL.

ODBC is simply an interface.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity

unixODBC is one implementation of it (the one I'm using,
incidentally). It is distributed under GPL/LGPL. See
http://www.unixodbc.org.

In the case of vendors that don't have open licenses (eg Microsoft),
could we not simply use a more liberal license than GPL just for this
package? Is anything linked to Octave in any way required to be
source-available?

Xavier