How to use mkoctfile without installing octave

From: jli127
Subject: How to use mkoctfile without installing octave
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am a newbie to Octave. I have sucessfully compiled and run the
octave-3.0.0 in Linux.
But since I don't have the permission to install software on the lab
machine,
I get a lot of error messages when using mkoctfile. For example,

$ mkoctfile --link-stand-alone hello.cc -o hello
hello.cc:5:17: error: oct.h: No such file or directory

If adding the path, there will becomes lots more errors.
$ mkoctfile --link-stand-alone  -I/home/jli127/octave/octave-3.0.0/src
hello.cc  -o hello

Is there a way I can run the mkoctfile without fully installing
octave-3.0.0?
Can I install the octave into some other folders, then specifying the
folders of include and library
when using mkoctfile?

Thanks,
JL