Re: Playrec for Octave

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: Playrec for Octave
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:39:26 +0100

Matthias Brennwald wrote:
What about distributing the playrec code alone without including binaries that include non-GPLed software? As far as I can tell, users of GPLed software are allowed to do just about anything with it, as long as they don't publish anything that is not GPL compatible. This would mean that anyone can build playrec (which is GPLed) with ASIO (which is not GPLed) for his/her own use. Also, did you consider using OpenAL instead of PortAudio (http://www.openal.org)? I stumbled across OpenAL this morning, so I have no idea about licences, features, etc.
Mattias,

David Bateman suggested OpenAL too but it looks more like a 3D audio rendering software. See the discussion here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=47C2EB9D.7040504%40ifi.uio.no&forum_name=octave-dev

Also, mkoctfile can build mex-files so you might be able to use playrec as it is.

/Fredrik

PS. Don't forget to CC the help-octave list.

Matthias