Can't Install Or Load Packages

From: A. Kalten
Subject: Can't Install Or Load Packages
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:22:55 -0500

After compiling and installing octave-3.0.0 on a Linux x86_64
system (home-built custom) I cannot install any packages from
octave-forge.

Using the command:

pkg install package-name

will result in the following message:

warning: save: unable to save global_packages in ASCII format

This indicates that the package has been compiled and
actually installed but the share/octave/octave_packages file
cannot be written with the name of the package.  Consequently,
even though all the package files are present, the package
cannot be loaded.  Issuing the command:

pkg load package-name

will only report "package <package-name> is not installed"

The package also cannot be uninstalled, unless I manually
remove the directories containing the package files.

How can this be fixed?  Using previous versions of octave
I had no problem with installing or loading packages.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with octave-3.0.0?

Regards,

Andrew Kalten