Re: additional packages

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: additional packages
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:23:42 -0800

On Friday, February 29, 2008, at 12:19PM, "Thomas Treichl" <address@hidden>
wrote:
>Ben Abbott schrieb:
>> On Thursday, February 28, 2008, at 04:28PM, "Henry F. Mollet"
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> It might be a lot easier to install compressed disc images *.dmg for Mac.
>>> Both ppc and intel versions are available
>>> See
>>> http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2007-December/007251.html .
>>> And then http://octave.sourceforge.net./ .
>>> Henry
>>>

>> I agree, if Octave is all that is needed, it would be easier to use one of
>> the compressed disc images.
>>
>> However, if other Fink packages are also needed, then messy conflict can
>> arise :-(
>>
>> For that reason I use Fink (it also helps me with my local builds since it
>> handles all the dependencies).
>>
>> Ben
>
>Hhmmm... Ben, what exactly do you mean by "messy conflict can arise" - this
>sounds to me like you can't use Fink packages anymore if Octave.app is
>installed?
>
>Fink doesn't know anything about Octave.app even if it is installed and
>therefore Fink can't use any of Octave.app's libraries. Octave.app doesn't use
>Fink's libraries but uses it's own (Octave.app brings all the necessary
>libraries needed to run on its own and doesn't install anything anywhere else
>on
>a user's harddisc). Fink shouldn't modify files that hard on a harddisc
>either,
>isn't it?
>
>So where do that messy conflicts arise? My knowledge is that people using
>Fink-Octave and Octave.app both on one and the same machine can use both
>without
>conflicting or damaging each other (maybe they can't use Octave.app and
>Octave-Fink at the same time)...
>
>This actually is a feature of a standalone application *.app from my point of
>view that doesn't work if somebody mixes distribution installations?!
>
>   Thomas

I'll qualify my prior comment with "I haven't actually tried installing Octave
via Fink and via a standalone version at the same time".

Based upon what I've read from others, my understanding is that conflicts can
arise if different versions of octave, different version of gnuplot, and/or
different versions of aquaterm are installed at the same time.

The different versions of octave shouldn't be a problem unless ~/.octaverc
includes path information.

Do my concerns have merit, or am have I misunderstood something?

Ben